Access Statement For The Bell Rock Hotel
Bell Rock Hotel is situated on the level in Church Street, St Marys, opposite the Methodist Church. Town Beach is approximately 100 yards in front of the hotel, and Porthcressa Beach is about 150 yards to the rear of the hotel. Originally a private house built around 1830, the property has been considerably altered over the years and has been a hotel for over 100 years. The Hotel is rated 2 stars for 2008 – 3 stars expected 2009. Letting rooms are on 4 floors, and the hotel does not have a lift. Direct access to the hotel via one step is available at the rear of the hotel to bedrooms and the dining room. From the dining room there are 11 steps up to the reception area and bar/lounge. From Church Street, access from the pavement is via 7 steps up to the front door, and another step up to the door. We do have guests who need wheelchairs staying with us - however no rooms are purpose built for access, including en suite bathrooms. We consider some mobility essential for an enjoyable stay with us, and on the islands.
• If arriving at St Marys airport by Skybus or Helicopter, you will be met by a Minibus taxi and brought to the door, with your luggage; your return pick-up time will also be confirmed with them. There is a small charge.
• If arriving by The ‘Scillonian’, the hotel is approximately 10 minutes walk from the quay - luggage labelled is delivered separately by Island Carriers shortly after arrival - the cost is £1.25 (price correct at 2012) per case which is paid by the hotel to Island Carriers on your behalf and added to your hotel bill. A taxi can be booked to meet The Scillonian if required, and the same operates in reverse on leaving.
• We do not accommodate pets.
• The hotel is non-smoking in all rooms and public areas.
• Our websites, www.bellrockhotel.co.uk & www.bellrockhotel.blogspot.com provides pictures of our swimming pool, lounge bar, dining room and bedrooms, also further information about services we provide.
• Brochures and Menus can be provided in large print if needed. We regret we do not have facilities to prepare documents in Braille.
• You can contact us by telephone, email or fax. Please see "Contact Information" section of this document for full details.
• Our manager and 10 staff intend to make your stay with us restful, relaxing and enjoyable.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
• Access to your room is usually from 2pm.
• Sometimes rooms are available earlier by arrangement.
• Luggage can be left and the hotels facilities used at any time.
• We offer assistance with luggage.
• It is highly unlikely that you will be bringing a car to the islands
Main Entrance & Reception
• From the pavement there are 7 steps, with a hand rail on one side, and a further step through the front door.
• The front door is open from 7:30am and locked at 10:30pm. All guests are provided with a front door key.
Public Areas - General (Internal)
• From the hallway a door opens into the bar lounge immediately after entering the hotel.
• There is an inner door and after turning left through an archway there is the reception desk.
• The reception office is manned from 8:00am until 6:00pm.
• There is a telephone to call the manager or person responsible until the bar lounge is closed, around 11:00 pm.
• Another door from the reception area at the bottom of the stairs leads into the bar lounge over a small step.
• The bar lounge can seat approximately 40 people.
• The hotel has a full licence - guests can purchase drinks anytime the bar is open, alcoholic and non-alcoholic.
• The bar lounge has a filter coffee machine and guests can help themselves after dinner at no extra charge.
• Tea is also available at no charge after dinner.
• Approximately 200 books are available for guests’ enjoyment and a small selection of DVD's, board games, playing cards and magazines are also available.
• Newspapers are available from around 9:30am at Mumfords Paper Shop, open Mon-Sat, only a 5 minute walk away. We are unable to offer a newspaper service.
Public Areas - WC
• A ladies and a gents toilet are situated in the reception area.
Restaurant / Dining Room, Bar & Lounges, Take Away & Cafe
• From the reception area leads 10 steps, with a hand rail on one side into the dining room with 50 covers.
• The dining room is approx 23 feet x 38 feet, with carpeted floor, various paintings and wall lights and windows that look out at our indoor swimming pool.
• Breakfast is served from 8:00am until 9:15 am and dinner is served from 6:15pm until 8:00pm daily.
• Guests are allocated a table for the duration of their stay.
• A full range of wines and alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks are served at your table on request. A detailed menu is on each table, including a wine list. Sample menus can be provided on request.
• Dinners are 3 courses with coffee afterwards in the bar as well. There is a choice of each course, including vegetarian.
• Dietary requests - We can usually accommodate, subject to sufficient notice being given and local availability.
• We ask guests not to use mobile phones in the dinning room and the bar lounge, as a courtesy to other guests.
• A glass panelled door at the bottom of the stairs opens via 2 steps onto the walk around area to the swimming pool and access to rooms 17, 22, 23 and 25.
• The nearest launderette is approximately 150 yards.
• The nearest shops are in Hugh Town, approximately 200 yards
• Indoor Swimming Pool
• Access is via 4 steps and through a locked/self closing door. The code is given to guests when they request a towel and towelling gown from reception. There is a small circular changing area with curtains. Steps with a handle lead into the pool - overall size 12'6" x 30'6". The water depth varies from 3 feet to approximately 5ft 6".
• The water is covered by a heat retaining insulation cover when the pool is not in use.
• The pool is open from 8:00am to 6:00pm.
• The water is heated to around 80 degrees Fahrenheit plus, except in the early and late season when it may be less, depending on the outside temperature.
• Children are not allowed (up to 16 years) without a parent/guardian being with them at all times.
• No diving, ball games, splashing is allowed.
• No life guard is on duty - guests use the pool at their own risk. We do not advise people to use it on their own - guests must decide if they are fit and able to use the pool. An emergency bell push is on the wall to summon help and a life ring is on the wall. Guests use the pool at their own risk and no responsibility will be accepted for use of the pool.
• There is non-slip plastic matting surrounding the pool and steps at the deep end.
• The hotel has a small paved garden area by the front door, with palm trees and a bench.
Conference & Meeting Rooms, Banqueting, Clubs, Entertainment
• Not Available
• The hotel has 23 bedrooms.
• All have bathrooms.
• Some have showers only, without baths.
• All have WC's and wash basins.
• Nearly every room is different size and shape.
• The largest double bedroom is 21ft x 13ft including en suite.
• The smallest double bedroom is 14’6 x 12ft, including en suite.
• We have single, double, twin and triple bedded rooms.
• Some top floor rooms have indirect sea views, across roof tops, either to Porthcressa bay or across the harbour to Tresco.
• All bedrooms have either radiators or electric wall heaters with thermostats.
• Each bedroom has a direct dial telephone.
• Each bedroom has a kettle and tea and coffee making facilities.
• Each bathroom has soap, shampoo, sewing/repair kit and a hair dryer.
• Pillows are synthetic.
• Our beds are normally made with duvets, but can be made with blankets if preferred. Please specify at time of booking.
• There is a wardrobe, chest of draws and dressing table in each room and additional seating.
• A radio alarm clock and television with DVD player is in each room.
• A folder in each bedroom contains further information about the hotel, details of emergency contacts, including doctors and hospitals. Also the facilities available on the islands - shops, restaurants, boating, tours, entertainments etc.
• We have 4 bedrooms on the ground floor with direct access via one step from the rear of the hotel.
• The other bedrooms are on three floors, access via a winding narrow staircase to the top floor rooms which might not be suitable for anyone unable to climb stairs - please check before booking as each one is different due to the age and layout of the building.
• Fire extinguishers are in obvious places around the hotel. A full fire detection (smoke) system is fitted in each room. In the event of a fire, alarm bells will ring continuously - please follow the exit signs to evacuate the property. The alarm bell system is tested weekly
• The system was renewed in 2008 and is to the latest specification.
• All fire escape routes are clearly marked and lit.
• We are happy to refrigerate any medication for you, please ask. The tap water is of perfect quality to drink.
• Mobile Phones - reception varies on the island
(Vodafone, Orange, O2 & 3)
• Vodafone is very good almost everywhere and O2 is the next best.
• The others vary and some will work in some places and not others so please check with your provider.
• We ask that guests do not use their mobile phones in the bar lounge or the dining rooms.
• Each bedroom has a direct dial phone - 20p per unit.
• Incoming calls will be put through when reception is open.
• Guests can use the fax in reception, 50p per A4 sheet sent - no charge for incoming faxes.
• Printing of any required documents for guests is at 10p per A4 sheet
• Address: Bell Rock Hotel, Church Street, St Marys, Isles of Scilly, TR21 0JS
• Telephone: 01720 422575
• Fax: 01720 423093
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Website: www.bellrockhotel.co.uk & www.bellrockhotel.blogspot.com
• Hours of operation: From 11:00pm until 7:30am the hotel number is on answer phone.
• Emergency number: There is an emergency only night number on reception and in all bed rooms for contacting a member of staff.
• We have a constant rolling program of upgrading the public areas and bedrooms.
If you require further details or have any comments about the services we provide do not hesitate to contact us.
We are a 2 star hotel with rooms situated throughout 4 floors. The hotel has no lift due to the grade 2 listed building status meaning we can't make alterations to install one. We will of course, help with luggage though.
Our food is traditional and cooked using fresh produce of fish, meats, vegetables & dairy sourced from Scilly & Cornwall where possible. Our style is not nouvelle cuisine or a fancy Michelin Star type restaurant.
Our experienced staff offer excellent & attentive service, far beyond the normal expectations for a 2 star rated hotel
Our swimming pool is 8 metres x 4 metres and so neither small, or Olympic size! An unusual extra facility compared to even many other hotels. Its size is governed by available space, and is covered in and heated.
Our rooms are comfortable & furnished to the same standard. All are en suite with either bath, shower or both, and some are compact, hence the special offer lower tariff for these.
The hotel is situated in the centre of Hugh Town, at the quieter side and is ideally positioned for easy access to the harbour for inter island boats to the inhabited islands of Tresco, Bryher, St Agnes & St Martins.
I try to post regular photographs of the islands, and you can see more of the hotel in the photo galleries on the right hand side of the page.
If you would like to contact us please feel free to email or telephone:
email@example.com Tel. 01720 422575
If you would like to contact us please feel free to email or telephone:
firstname.lastname@example.org Tel. 01720 422575